In case, you are trying to write a research paper or report then you have to need to cite Google maps for discussing a location or configure a route between two maps. One of the common steps of citation doesn’t address how to cite Google maps, so you have to cobble together a format with the use of the requirements for online maps. Whenever you are trying to go to the same basic information in your location then the formats for APA (American Psychological Association), MLA (Modern Language Association), Chicago style are different.
Modern Language Association (MLA):-
Here are many steps that you use to cite Google maps. Follow the below steps carefully:
Strat it with the description or title of the map:-
It may be possible that Google maps don’t give you a specific title for the map, so you have to make this at your own end. This title will help to describe what maps actually show. Also, keep a period after the title.
- Some examples of locations like Map of Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo.
- Example of the route: Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL.
2. Recognize the source of cited Google maps:-
After providing the title or description of the maps, you have to write Google Maps in italic format to let your readers know where the map was search out. Now, place the comma after the name of the source and then write the year of the map was produced and also place the comma after the year.
- See this example: Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL. Google Maps, 2019,
3. If required then write a specific date for cite Google maps:-
It may also possible that some supervisors or instructors want you to provide an exact date when you created the map with the use of citing. So, provide the date in the format of day – month – year.
- Check this example for reference: Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL. Google Maps, 25 October 2019,
4. Truncate the lengthy URLs on cite Google maps:-
If you are searching for a route on Google maps and you likely end up with a URL that spans many lines. Simply use the site’s URL rather than copy and paste this URL. So, the reader can easily search for any content on their own end. Also, place the period after the URL.
- See this example: Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL. Google Maps, 2019, maps.google.com.
5. In the next, add a short title or description:-
Text citations in the Modern Language Association are based on the first element listed in the entry in your Works Cited, and it is the author’s name. It may be a description or title of the Google maps that you mention with the cite Google maps. Write the first few words in the double quotation that direct your readers to the entry in your Works Cited.
- Check this example: “Direction for Driving”
American Psychological Association (APA):-
It also provides many ways to cite Google maps. Follow the below steps:
Use Google as the author:-
American Psychological Association starts with the name of the author. Google Maps is a service that is offered by Google itself, so list Google as the author of the source. Also, keep the period after the name.
- Check this example: Google.
2. It doesn’t indicate the date for the publication date of the cite Google maps:-
The further steps of the American Psychological Association are to take parenthesis for the date of the publication. However, pages incite Google maps are made on-demand, and they don’t provide a publication date. So, you have to use abbreviation “n.d.” which is enclosed in the parenthesis. And, keep the period after closing parenthesis.
- Let’s check the example: Google (n.d.).
3. Make a description in square brackets:-
In this section, we provide the title of the source in the American Psychological Association citation. As you know, Google maps don’t have titles so you have to write an exact description on the Google maps. To indicate, it is a description, not a title put in the square bracket. Also, use sentence-case, write in Capital letter of the first word or any noun. And, then keep a period outside the closed bracket.
- See this example: Google (n.d.). [ Google Maps Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL].
4. Provide the date when you produced the Google map and a URL to reach directly:
American Psychological Association doesn’t ask for a date for may online sources. But you have to use retrieval date which is appropriate since driving direction will be changed any time and also because the Google maps are made on-demand.
- Check this example: Google (n.d.). [ Google Maps Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL]. Retrieved October 29, 2019, from shorturl.at/esuD5
- Also, note down that you end up with the long URL. Concern it with your Google maps instructor or supervisor and receive a recommendation for shorting or trunking the URL.
5. Use an alternate solution of Citation American Psychological Association:-
At the University of Taxes library, Arlington has a different citation American Psychological Association method for the Google maps that keep the description first and use data that you produce the map as the publishing date. Show this alternative to your supervisor or instructor and check what they prefer for it.
- Go with this example: [ Google Maps Direction for the TN to Santa Rosa Beach, Driving from Nashville, FL]. (29 October 2019). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved from shorturl.at/esuD5
In this blog, we discussed how to cite Google maps. I hope, it is helpful to you. If you have any doubts regarding this then call our expert’s team to resolve them.